Ciambotta is a traditional vegetable stew originating from the South of Italy. This stew is full of scrumptious and wholesome summer season greens, resembling zucchini and candy peppers, tender potatoes and eggplant, recent pestata, and a wealthy tomato broth.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- I’ve cooked the zucchini and bell peppers within the dry warmth of a skillet, which helps to retain their texture on this dish.
- It’s a hearty one-pot meal with none meat – good for vegetarian diets or these days while you need to skip the meat.
- The pestata provides an enormous punch of taste to this dish when added on the finish.
Get pleasure from a bowl of this Ratatouille-like stew, loaded with wholesome seasonal greens in a wealthy broth, as a aspect dish or predominant meal for lunch or a scrumptious dinner.
As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Observe: The complete checklist of this Giambotta recipe substances with their quantities and choices are within the recipe card under.
Observe: That is an outline of the directions. The complete directions are within the recipe card under.
- Make the pestata by processing all substances in a meals processor for 1 minute till finely floor. Scrape the edges as required and put aside.
- Begin getting ready the stew by tossing the items of eggplant with salt in a mixing bowl.
- Line a big plate with a double layer of espresso filters and spray the floor evenly with vegetable oil or spray. Unfold the eggplant evenly over the filters.
- Microwave the eggplant for 8-12 minutes, tossing them as soon as midway by means of. They need to be dry to the contact.
- Warmth additional virgin olive oil in a Dutch oven or massive pot over excessive warmth till it shimmers, after which add the eggplant, onion, and potatoes.
- Cook dinner for two minutes, stirring often. The eggplant ought to brown, and the floor of the potatoes ought to flip translucent.
- Push the veggies to the edges of the pot and add oil and tomato paste to the clearing.
- Stir the substances and prepare dinner for two minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, chopped tomatoes, and juice to the pot, scraping any browned bits.
- Convey the stew to a boil after which scale back to medium warmth, protecting the pot to simmer gently for 20-25 minutes.
- Whereas the stew cooks, warmth oil in a skillet over excessive warmth till smoking. Add the zucchini, bell peppers, and salt.
- Cook dinner the veggies for 10-12 minutes till they’re tender.
- Push the greens to the edges of the skillet and add the pestata.
- Cook dinner the combination for 1 minute. Switch the combination to a bowl. Add the remaining water to the skillet off warmth to scrape up any browned bits.
- Take away the stew from the warmth and stir the greens and water from the skillet into the Dutch oven.
- Cowl the pot and permit it to face for 20 minutes. Stir within the basil and season it with salt.
The next are affiliate hyperlinks. We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites.
You’ll want the next gadgets to make this recipe efficiently.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Dutch oven or deep skillet
- Meals processor
These are the questions we’re most often requested about making this Ciambotta recipe.
Ciambotta refers to an Italian stew that consists of summer season greens, resembling bell peppers, eggplants, zucchini, onions, and potatoes. This dish is often known as “Giambotta” in different areas of Italy.
Ratatouille is a French dish from Good and consists of stewed greens. Ciambotta is just like the Italian ratatouille!
You’ll be able to pronounce Ciambotta as Chom-BOAT-ah.
Sure! Retailer leftover vegetable stew within the freezer for 3-6 months.
- Cooking the zucchini and bell peppers in a skillet as an alternative of the Dutch oven prevents these delicate greens from turning into overly delicate and dropping an excessive amount of taste.
- Guarantee you will have scheduled sufficient time in your day to organize and prepare dinner this Ciambotta recipe for the reason that cooking time is roughly 1.5 hours.
- Solely add the greens and pestata in direction of the top of the cooking to protect the flavour and texture of those substances.
- Permitting the vegetable stew to face for about 20 minutes will assist the flavors meld collectively.
- Add different substances to this vegetable stew, resembling chickpeas and cannellini beans, white beans, inexperienced bell pepper, Swiss chard
- Add floor meat to the stew for a meaty twist.
- Improve the purple pepper flakes within the pestata or add cayenne pepper to this stew for an additional kick of warmth.
- Use Yukon Gold potatoes as an alternative of Russet potatoes.
- Use recent tomatoes, resembling plum tomatoes, on this model of ciambotta.
Retailer leftover Ciambotta in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3-4 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
Thaw frozen vegetable stew within the fridge in a single day and reheat on the stovetop over medium warmth for 5-7 minutes till effervescent, after which scale back the warmth to simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Rustic Italian Vegetable Beef Stew – A hearty and comforting Italian stew with a kick of spice, pasta, recent veggies and beans, and iron-rich beef.
- Best Grilled Vegetables – This dish boasts seasonal summer season greens resembling massive zucchini, purple bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms! They’re grilled till tender, drizzled with olive oil, and seasoned evenly. Easy, but scrumptious!
- Spicy Vegetable Italian Lentil Soup – One other vegetable-rich thick soup consisting of lentils, potatoes, roasted tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, herbs, spicy kielbasa, and parmesan cheese.
🍽 Serve with
Ciambotta may be loved as a aspect dish to grilled meats or a predominant meal served over pasta, rice, polenta, or alongside a slice of crusty bread.
📞 Chiacchierata (chat)
In the summertime, we had a model of this scrumptious Italian vegetable stew usually. Norma, our neighbor throughout the alley had a giant backyard — too huge for an eighty 12 months previous girl to deal with. So, it was my Papà who took care of the backyard for her. Our reward was a share of the scrumptious veggies from that backyard.
It was after she met our household that she planted veggies resembling melanzane (eggplants) and peperoni rossi (purple bell peppers). Each summer season our veggies had been taken care of. Mamma would at all times make Italian dishes that might feed our household and a few to ship over to Norma and her two sisters.
The primary time our neighbors tasted Ciambotta, they could not consider how scrumptious this straightforward rustic recipe tasted. They favored it a lot they insisted on the recipe. Effectively, Mamma did not comply with recipes. So the subsequent time she made Ciambotta, I needed to stand there with paper and pencil and write out the recipe as she cooked.
I want I’d have completed that for extra of Mamma’s recipes…
Tutti a tavolo, è pronto!
What’s new? Take a look at my All Our Way Store on Amazon. We’ll be including extra gadgets we love and use or want we needed to make
cooking enjoyable and straightforward.
📝 Recipe Card
Ciambotta is a comforting and flavorful Italian vegetable stew, loaded with nutritious seasonal substances. This colourful summer season dish is a traditional Southern Italian recipe that may be loved as a aspect dish or a meatless predominant meal!
Should you love this recipe please give it 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
Ciambotta or Giambotta A Hearty Italian Vegetable Stew Recipe
Ciambotta is a vegetable-rich stew from Southern Italy, boasting recent seasonal veggies, tender potatoes and eggplant, recent herbs, and a wealthy tomato broth. Good as a aspect dish or meatless predominant meal!
Servings: 8 individuals
As An Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- ⅓ cup recent basil chopped
- ⅓ cup recent oregano leaves
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon purple pepper flakes
- 12 ounces eggplant peeled and minimize into ½-inch items
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 massive onion chopped
- 1 pound russet potatoes peeled and minimize into ½-inch items
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 28 ounce can complete peeled tomatoes drained with juice reserved and chopped coarse
- 16 ounce zucchini 2 (8 ounces every, seeded and minimize into ½-inch items)
- 2 purple or yellow bell peppers stemmed, seeded, and minimize into ½-inch items
- 1 cup recent basil shredded
For the pestata:
Course of all substances in meals processor till finely floor, about 1 minute, scraping sides as mandatory. Put aside.
For the stew:
Toss eggplant with 1½ teaspoons salt in bowl. Line floor of huge plate with double layer of espresso filters and evenly spray with vegetable oil spray. Unfold eggplant in even layer over espresso filters. Microwave eggplant, uncovered, till dry to the touch and barely shriveled, 8 to 12 minutes, tossing as soon as midway by means of to make sure that eggplant cooks evenly.
Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over excessive warmth till shimmering.
Add eggplant, onion, and potatoes; prepare dinner, stirring often, till eggplant browns and floor of potatoes turns into translucent, about 2 minutes.
Push greens to sides of pot; add 1 tablespoon oil and tomato paste to clearing. Cook dinner paste, stirring often, till brown fond develops on backside of pot, about 2 minutes.
Add 2 cups water and chopped tomatoes and juice, scraping up any browned bits, and produce to boil. Cut back warmth to medium, cowl, and gently simmer till eggplant is totally damaged down and potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
In the meantime, warmth remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over excessive warmth till smoking.
Add zucchini, bell peppers, and ½ teaspoon salt; prepare dinner, stirring often, till greens are browned and tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Push greens to sides of skillet; add pestata and prepare dinner till aromatic, about 1 minute.
Stir pestata into greens and switch greens to bowl.
Add remaining ¼ cup water to skillet off warmth, scraping up browned bits.
Take away pot from warmth and stir reserved greens and water from skillet into greens in Dutch oven.
Cowl pot and let stand for 20 minutes to permit flavors to meld. Stir in basil and season with salt to style; serve.
Energy: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 8g | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 839mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1496IU | Vitamin C: 65mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 3mg
Join the emails and by no means miss one other recipe!!
We’ll by no means share your e mail or ship you spam. Promise