You won’t have heard of agar boba, however we wager you’ve seen them earlier than. The time period refers back to the white pearls you’ve most likely seen in your bubble tea which might be an alternative choice to tapioca pearls. In the present day we’re going to speak all about crystal boba and why it’s worthwhile to give them a go. We are going to cowl easy methods to make plain crystal agar boba, brown sugar agar boba and a fruit-based watermelon agar boba. You can also make your individual agar boba primarily based on the three varieties.
What’s agar boba?
Agar boba (also referred to as agar agar boba or crystal boba) are bean-shaped pearls produced from plant-derived white agar powder or the konjac plant. Different components can embrace sugar, brown sugar, gelatin, and fruit juice. The identify crystal boba refers to their clear white colour, in comparison with the black hue of tapioca pearls. They’re additionally known as agar jelly boba as a result of they’ve the identical delicate jelly-like texture as tapioca pearls however are barely chewier.
Agar- the magic vegan gelling agent
Agar (or agar-agar) is a jelly-like substance that’s derived from crimson algae. Agar could be within the type of powder and strips. It absorbs water shortly and melts at temperatures above 85°C.
We’re utilizing agar powder this time. It doesn’t have any flavors, so we add further sugar for a few of the agar boba. The agar powder is blended with water or fruit juice, then warmth for melting. After that, we set the combination apart to chill. On this course of, the cool liquid turns right into a jelly-like stable with a semi-translucent texture.
100 grams of crystal boba incorporates 70 energy of carbohydrates and no fats.
Is agar boba wholesome?
Agar boba doesn’t have sufficient vitamins to be categorized as wholesome. Nevertheless, the pearls are more healthy calories-wise in comparison with tapioca pearls. As talked about, they’ve 70 energy per 100 grams, whereas tapioca pearls include 358 energy.
Various kinds of agar boba
Listed below are simply 4 various kinds of agar boba:
- Crystal boba: Also called plain agar boba, that is the most typical sort of agar boba, which we’ve defined intimately above. It’s also possible to use coconut water or coconut juice to make crystal boba.
- Brown sugar boba: Identical to common boba, that is when the white pearls tackle a brown or black hue after they’re caramelized in brown sugar. Brown sugar agar jelly boba is extraordinarily just like tapioca pearls, moreover a barely sweeter style.
- Fruit-flavored agar boba: To make flavored agar boba, we substitute the water for recent fruit juice and mix that with the agar powder. In right now’s video, we’re remodeling watermelon juice into watermelon agar boba. Mango, strawberry, and lychee are the highest fruity selections for agar boba.
- Espresso agar boba: That is once we mix agar powder and on the spot espresso to make coffee-flavored boba.
Agar boba components
To make crystal boba, you solely want three most important components:
- Agar powder: Agar is our gelling agent for the boba and you should utilize strips too.
- sweetener: A few of the fruit liquid wants further sweetener. For instance, for plain crystal boba.
- Water: Use filtered water for the most effective outcomes.
We are going to want the next instruments for selfmade agar boba.
- Measuring spoons and kitchen scale – for a extra exact recipe.
- Saucepan – A saucepan is used to boil water after which combine within the agar and sugar.
- Mini spherical silicone mildew – The mini silicone mildew offers the boba its attribute spherical form after we pour the agar liquid combination.
- Scraper or spatula- A scraper is a software to unfold the liquid to fill every small gap within the mildew.
Cook dinner’s Notice
Use a scraper or a spatula to unfold the liquid to fill every of the small holes within the mildew. Be fast for this step.
Soak the agar boba in iced water can improve the feel of the agar boba.
Find out how to make agar boba at residence in three completely different flavors
You’re going to be so shocked if you see how straightforward it’s to make agar boba at residence. Listed below are three completely different flavors of selfmade agar boba: plain crystal boba, watermelon agar boba and brown sugar agar boba
crystal agar boba
- 300 ml water or coconut water
- 6 g agar powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
Brown sugar agar boba
- 300 ml water
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 g agar powder
Watermelon agar boba (we do not use sugar for this model)
- 300 ml watermelon juice
- 6 g agar powder
Brown sugar agar boba
Place on the spot brown sugar, agar powder, and water in a measuring jug and whisk the components collectively.
As soon as the powder dissolves, pour the jug contents right into a saucepan. Convey this to a boil on the stovetop, stirring continuously.
Pour the recent combination into your boba mildew instantly, utilizing a spatula to make sure each mildew is stuffed.
Set this apart for quarter-hour after which use your fingers to pop the pearls out of the mildew right into a bowl of ice-cold water. Use a strainer to take away the ice from the bowl after which the cooled pearls.
Watermelon agar boba
Place watermelon juice and agar powder in a measuring jug and whisk the components collectively. As soon as mixed, switch the combination right into a saucepan. Convey this to a boil whereas continuously stirring.
Pour the boiling contents into your boba mildew and use a spatula to push the combination into every mildew. Then let this sit for quarter-hour.
After quarter-hour, place your fingers beneath the mildew and push every pearl out and right into a bowl of ice-cold water. Use a strainer to take away the ice from the bowl after which use the identical strainer to take away the watermelon agar boba from the bowl.
Listed below are the important thing variations between agar boba and common boba:
- Look: Crystal boba is evident and white in colour, whereas tapioca pearls are usually black as they’re caramelized in brown sugar.
- Style: Agar boba has a barely candy citrus style from the plant used to make the pearls, whereas tapioca pearls have a impartial taste.
- Texture: Each sorts of boba are delicate and spongy in texture.
- Dimension: They’re each formed into small one-centimetre balls.
Agar boba vs popping boba
Now let’s take a look at the variations between agar boba and popping boba (also referred to as popping pearls or bursting boba):
- Look: Crystal boba is evident and white, however the colour of the popping boba is determined by the flavour. For instance, strawberry popping boba is crimson and mango popping boba is orange.
- Style: Crystal boba at all times has a barely candy citrus taste whereas popping boba is available in quite a lot of fruity flavors. If you chunk into bursting boba, your tastebuds will probably be hit with a burst of taste.
- Texture: Each have a delicate chewy texture.
- Dimension: Each pearls are comparable sizes.
How will you use crystal boba?
You need to use crystal boba in any milk tea or bubble tea recipe as a substitute of tapioca pearls. An alternative choice is to easily take pleasure in them in a glass of soda or glowing water. They make a boring glass of water way more thrilling! Select from one taste or attempt it with a mix of all three. Your drink, your guidelines.