These crimson and inexperienced enchiladas are impressed by my trips to Santa Fe, New Mexico! I really like visiting Santa Fe for my fill of saucy burritos, enchiladas and breakfast dishes. At any time when the server asks if I would like crimson sauce, inexperienced sauce or each, the reply is at all times each. They name it Christmas-style or divorciadas (divorced).
Coming to you simply in time for Christmas or Christmas Eve dinner, these enchiladas are a festive and scrumptious principal dish. They’re filled with vibrant greens, spinach, black beans, and sufficient cheese to qualify as a vacation meal.
I’ve been maintaining this recipe on reserve for the vacations, and I simply now realized that I poured the enchilada sauce within the incorrect vogue. In Santa Fe, they break up the sauce down the center of the enchiladas, so every enchilada options each crimson and inexperienced sauce. Though, my approach could also be just a little simpler to distribute (and you may at all times simply eat two enchiladas to get one in all every)!
Do as you would like—the substances and portions will stay the identical. You’ll discover facet dish strategies to spherical out your meal under. Wishing you a wholesome and joyful vacation season!
Watch The right way to Make Christmas Enchiladas
Christmas Enchilada Sauce Notes
You can also make double the enchiladas to make use of up each sauces (good in the event you’re serving a crowd) or just freeze half of every for a future batch of Christmas enchiladas. Another choice? Preserve each within the fridge and drizzle them over improvised dishes like quesadillas and eggy breakfasts.
Enchilada Serving Options
Spherical out your meal with any of the next facet dishes:
Extra Enchiladas to Attempt
You’ll love these vegetarian enchilada recipes on Cookie and Kate:
Please let me know the way your enchiladas prove within the feedback! I really like listening to from you.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 45 minutes
- Whole Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 enchiladas 1x
- Class: Entree
- Technique: Baked
- Delicacies: Southwestern
- Weight loss plan: Vegetarian
This enchilada recipe options each crimson and inexperienced sauce! These vegetarian enchiladas are filled with contemporary veggies, black beans and cheese. Recipe yields 10 enchiladas.
- ½ batch (1 cup) red enchilada sauce
- ½ batch (1 cup) green enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 massive yellow onion, minimize into 2” lengthy skinny strips
- 2 medium crimson bell peppers, minimize into 2” lengthy skinny strips
- ¾ teaspoon effective salt, divided
- 8 ounces Child Bella mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 5 ounces child spinach
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 ½ cups cooked black beans
- Freshly floor black pepper, to style
- 4 ounces (1 packed cup) Monterey Jack cheese or pepper jack cheese (for additional kick)
- 10 corn tortillas
- Garnishes: Chopped crimson onion or radish or inexperienced onion, cilantro leaves and crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels Fahrenheit. Flippantly grease a 9 by 13-inch pan with olive oil or cooking spray.
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium warmth. Add the onion, bell pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook dinner till the onion and pepper are tender, stirring sometimes, about 5 to six minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Proceed cooking for six to 9 minutes, stirring typically, till the mushrooms begin to caramelize and follow the bottom of the pan.
- Add the spinach in massive handfuls, stirring after every. Cook dinner till the spinach is wilted, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and prepare dinner till aromatic, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Take away the pot from the warmth and stir within the black beans, adopted by the cheese. Season to style with salt and pepper as desired. Set the combination apart to relaxation for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, unfold the tortillas throughout a big, rimmed baking sheet and bake simply till they’re heat and pliable, about two minutes. Stack the tortillas and wrap them in a clear tea towel to maintain them heat.
- To assemble the enchiladas, pour ⅓ cup of every sauce into the bottom of the ready baking dish (half on one facet, half on the opposite). Gently unfold every sauce over every half of the baking dish.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, unfold about ⅓ cup filling down the middle of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla across the filling, then place them snugly side-by-side within the baking dish with the seams down. Unfold the remaining ⅔ cup crimson sauce over one-half of the tortillas (to match the crimson sauce within the base of the dish), and the remaining inexperienced sauce over the opposite half.
- Bake, uncovered, on the center rack for 20 to 22 minutes, till the sauce is effervescent across the edges and the highest of the enchiladas are turning a bit extra matte than shiny. Garnish as desired, and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use licensed gluten-free substances and observe the gluten-free variation for the crimson enchilada sauce.
Sauce amount: You’ll use simply ½ batch of every sauce. You could possibly make double the enchiladas to make use of up all of the sauce, or freeze the leftover sauces individually for a future batch of Christmas enchiladas.
▸ Diet Info
Did you make this recipe?