Because the autumn climate arrives & the leaves start to vary color, I at all times crave a heat bowl of home made soup. This conventional French soup options roasted chestnuts as the bottom, which provides the soup a candy & nutty flavour profile. Creamy Chestnut Soup also referred to as Soupe Aux Marrons is a staple this time of yr.
You should utilize freshly roasted chestnuts (that are in an abundance from October to December) or store-bought pre-roasted chestnuts (which might typically be discovered within the produce part). This soup makes for an exquisite appetizer for any Thanksgiving celebration. It takes underneath an hour to made & will be made one to 2 days prematurely.
As presentation is further essential across the holidays, I wish to garnish the soup with a dollop of bitter cream, a sprinkle of crispy bacon, grated nutmeg & sliced chives. The bacon provides texture to an in any other case creamy soup & the chives add successful of freshness.
To regulate the recipe to be vegetarian-friendly, merely eradicate the bacon & exchange the bacon fats with unsalted butter. The hen inventory will also be substituted for a low sodium vegetable inventory.
Pleased October! Cheers to sweater climate & soup season.
French Chestnut Soup
- 50 grams of bacon, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 leek, break up lengthwise & sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled & diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Salt & cracked black pepper, to style
- 400 grams complete roasted chestnuts
- 4 cups low-sodium hen broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Bitter cream, for serving
- Sliced chives, for serving
- Grated nutmeg, for serving
- In a heavy backside pot over medium warmth add the bacon. Repeatedly stirring, prepare dinner till crispy. Take away utilizing a slotted spoon & switch to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve till able to serve.
- To the identical skillet add the garlic, shallots, leek, celery, carrot, bay leaf, thyme, salt & pepper. Prepare dinner till the greens start to melt, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts & hen broth. Carry to a boil & cut back to a mild simmer. Cowl with the lid & proceed cooking till the greens have softened, about half-hour.
- Take away from warmth. Utilizing an immersion blender puree the soup till clean. Simply earlier than serving add the heavy cream.
- Switch to a soup bowl. Garnish with a dollop of bitter cream, sliced chives, grated nutmeg & a sprinkle of crispy bacon.