Mumbo sauce is sort of a dreamy mixture of barbecue and candy and bitter sauce. It’s tangy and savory with a glaze-like texture that’s fantastic for coating rooster wings!
I like making do-it-yourself sauces as a result of you may have full management over how they style. After this tangy mumbo sauce, you’ll should attempt boom boom sauce, comeback sauce, and sweet chili sauce!
DC Mumbo Sauce Recipe
Mumbo sauce, also referred to as mambo sauce, is a tangy and savory condiment from Washington, D.C and Chicago. It’s really been round for the reason that Nineteen Fifties-Nineteen Sixties! Made with ketchup, vinegar, scorching sauce, and spices, it’s candy, tangy, and barely spicy. The very best half? You possibly can slather it on something! Toss your rooster wings, glaze your grilled meats, dip some shrimp, or drizzle it over French fries and different fried meals. Mumbo sauce provides a singular taste punch that locals adore. You’ll perceive the hype when you give it a attempt!
And why go do-it-yourself? Effectively, with do-it-yourself mumbo sauce, you’re the boss of taste. Tweak the spices, sweetness, and tanginess to your liking. I do know you’re going to like it as a lot as I do! Mumbo sauce is like barbecue sauce with a bit further pizzazz, and it’ll improve something you place it on!
Mumbo Sauce Substances
You’ll discover quite a lot of variations of this red-orange sauce, however that is how I prefer to make it. Be happy to regulate the flavour to your liking! For those who’re in search of measurements, they’ll all be discovered under within the recipe card.
- Ketchup: Offers the sauce a candy and tangy base. For those who’re out of ketchup, tomato sauce or tomato paste combined with a contact of sugar will work as substitutes.
- White Vinegar: Vinegar provides a nice tanginess to the sauce! It brings a refined acidity that cuts by way of the richness and enhances the sweetness.
- Soy Sauce: This umami-packed sauce contributes depth and richness to the mumbo sauce. For those who’re in search of a substitute, Worcestershire sauce can be used, though it might alter the style barely.
- Frank’s Hot Sauce: This provides a kick of spice that balances out the sweetness and the tanginess of the mumbo sauce. Regulate accordingly in the event you don’t need your sauce to be too scorching.
- Brown Sugar or Granulated Sugar: The candy part of the mumbo sauce comes from brown sugar or granulated sugar. Use no matter you may have readily available! I personally like utilizing brown sugar due to the refined smoky however candy taste that it provides!
- Smoked Paprika or Cayenne Pepper: The selection between smoked paprika or cayenne pepper depends upon the extent of smokiness and warmth you want. Smoked paprika brings a refined smoky taste, whereas cayenne pepper gives a spicier kick.
- Salt (if wanted): A pinch of salt will help improve the general flavors of the mumbo sauce. Style the sauce earlier than including salt to find out if it’s vital.
- Water (if wanted): Water is used to regulate the consistency of the sauce. For those who discover the sauce to be too thick, steadily add water to attain the specified thickness.
Make Mumbo Sauce
It’s tremendous simple and takes lower than 10 minutes from begin to end. Since mumbo sauce makes use of quite a lot of easy substances and can also be easy to make, you may whip up a batch everytime you wish to add further taste to your favourite meals! One among my favourite methods to make use of it’s over fried chicken.
- Mix Substances: In a medium saucepan, add the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, scorching sauce, sugar, and paprika.
- Combine: Whisk collectively and warmth over medium warmth for 2-3 minutes to permit the substances to mix collectively.
- Cool and Serve: Take away from the warmth and permit to chill earlier than serving. Take pleasure in as a dipping sauce or glaze!
Suggestions and Variations
Homemade sauces are my favourite as a result of you may customise them nevertheless you want. Plus, they’re freed from components and preservatives, and simply style higher total!
- Let it Chill: Persistence pays off! Whip it up a day forward and let it chill within the fridge in a single day so the flavors meld collectively.
- Swap Up the Consistency: Desire a thicker sauce? Simmer it on low warmth for a tad longer, letting it scale back and thicken. Want it a bit runnier? Steadily add water till it reaches your required consistency.
- Use For: Mumbo sauce isn’t only for dipping. It’s so versatile! Use it as a glaze for grilled pork or ribs, a marinade for rooster, or a diffusion for burgers and sandwiches.
- Further Taste: The traditional recipe is a winner, however why not add your personal twist? Add minced garlic, a touch of ginger, a drizzle of honey, or a splash of lemon juice for an additional taste punch.
Like barbecue sauce, this condiment is tremendous versatile and goes with so many alternative dishes. Utilizing it with meats is a no brainer, and a good way so as to add taste and assist tenderize issues like grilled chicken! I like that it doubles as a sauce and a marinade! Mumbo sauce can also be nice for dipping, so get these French fries, onion rings, egg rolls, you identify it, able to go!
How Lengthy Does it Final?
So long as it’s in an hermetic container or jar, your do-it-yourself mumbo sauce ought to keep good for every week or two within the fridge. The substances could settle because it sits, so give it a fast combine earlier than you utilize it. For those who’re in search of a simple recipe to make use of it with, attempt these air fryer fried chicken wings!
In a medium saucepan, add the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, scorching sauce, sugar, and paprika.
Whisk collectively and warmth over medium warmth for 2-3 minutes to permit the substances to mix collectively.
Take away from the warmth and permit to chill earlier than serving. Take pleasure in as a dipping sauce or glaze!
Serving2tablespoonsEnergy37kcal (2%)Carbohydrates9g (3%)Protein1g (2%)Fats0.1gSaturated Fats0.01gPolyunsaturated Fats0.04gMonounsaturated Fats0.01gSodium455mg (19%)Potassium66mg (2%)Fiber0.2g (1%)Sugar8g (9%)Vitamin A292IU (6%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium8mg (1%)Iron0.3mg (2%)
All dietary info is predicated on third social gathering calculations and is simply an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you utilize, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.