Updated: February 5, 2024
Belief me, you want this lemony kale salad recipe. It may not appear like a lot at first look, however this hearty inexperienced salad is boldly flavored and simply what that you must spherical out tonight’s dinner.
This easy kale salad options finely shredded Tuscan kale tossed in a daring, lemony dressing with freshly-grated pecorino romano or Parmesan cheese.
Tuscan kale goes by many names—you would possibly realize it as lacinato kale, dinosaur kale or cavolo nero (actually “black cabbage” in Italian). It’s much less curly than normal kale, which makes it simpler to stack, roll and thinly slice. As soon as ready, this salad is sort of slaw-like in texture. It’s actually irresistible.
This meals weblog has a minimum of 22 kale salad recipes already, plus this kale salad roundup with tips. However the assortment actually isn’t full with out this one, which pulls heavy inspiration from the mother of all kale salads created by Joshua McFadden in 2007.
I all the time order a salad like this one after we eat at True Foods Kitchen. The primary distinction between this salad and the aforementioned kale salads is that this recipe omits the bread crumbs. I attempted with and with out, and the breadcrumbs didn’t do a complete lot by way of taste and don’t preserve nicely on the salad for leftovers.
You’ll discover the recipe and educational video under. I’m additionally sharing my finest suggestions that may enable you to create constantly flavored batches of salad, which is truthfully difficult!
Learn how to Make Lemony Kale Salad
Right here’s the humorous factor about kale—it’s bought in bunches that aren’t constant by weight. Is that this a kale-spiracy? Fairly presumably. This recipe requires particularly for one medium-to-large bunch of Tuscan kale, which is about eight ounces by weight. In case your kale bunches are fairly small, you would possibly even want two of them.
The recipe gives a prompt vary of lemon juice since kale bunches range in measurement, and even a bit in taste from one bunch to the subsequent. We’ll begin with one tablespoon, and you’ll add as much as yet another to style on the finish. You need the salad to style a bit puckery as a result of the tartness of the lemon helps counter the bitterness of the kale.
You’ll must finely shred and therapeutic massage the kale for finest outcomes. This sounds fussy, but it surely’s not very tough, I promise! Finely shredding the kale yields an superior texture, which is improved additional by massaging the kale. For those who’ve ever struggled to eat a poky, large-leafed kale salad, this one is a completely totally different ballgame. You’ll discover the total how-tos within the recipe under, and you’ll see these methods in motion within the video.
Pecorino romano vs. Parmesan: Pecorino is my high decide, however Parmesan will work if that’s what you will have. They’re comparable as a result of they’re each aged laborious cheeses, although pecorino is produced from sheep’s milk and Parmesan is from cow’s milk. Pecorino has a sharper taste and it’s extra salty, so it actually stands out extra on this salad. The salty facet is a plus as a result of salt helps counter the bitterness of the kale (you’ll be able to all the time add one other pinch of salt, to style, if wanted).
Watch Learn how to Make Kale Salad
Kale Salad Serving Solutions
This versatile kale salad will brighten any meal that’s on the heavier or extra conventional aspect. It goes nicely with hearty Italian meals like Eggplant Parmesan, and creamy soups and pastas. Hear are just some recommendations to make a full meal:
Extra Kale Salads to Take pleasure in
View all kale salads here. Beneath are just a few choose favorites (I like all of them, although).
Please let me know the way your kale salad seems within the feedback! I’d be delighted to listen to from you.
Lemony Kale Salad
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Whole Time: quarter-hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Class: Salad
- Technique: By hand
- Delicacies: American
- Weight loss plan: Gluten Free
Make this lemony kale salad! It’s a easy kale salad recipe that includes a brilliant lemon dressing and freshly-grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese. This boldly flavored kale salad is the right aspect salad to enrich your meal. Recipe yields 4 to six aspect salads, and is definitely doubled.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or minced
- A number of twists of freshly floor black pepper
- Pinch of crimson pepper flakes (optionally available)
- 1 medium-to-large bunch of Tuscan kale (8 ounces)
- ⅛ teaspoon wonderful salt
- ½ cup (1 ½ ounces) finely grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the entire dressing components (use simply 1 tablespoon lemon juice) and whisk to mix. Put aside.
- To arrange the kale, fold the leaf so the bigger rib aspect is out and pull the powerful rib out from the kale to make every leaf into two separate halves. Stack just a few leaves at a time and roll them up, from one brief finish to the opposite. Utilizing a pointy chef’s knife, slice them as thinly as doable throughout the roll. Then use a chop or two to chop the entire rounds in half.
- Switch the chopped kale to a medium serving bowl and sprinkle it with the salt. Therapeutic massage the leaves together with your palms by frivolously scrunching huge handfuls at a time, again and again till the leaves are darker in colour and aromatic.
- Drizzle in the entire dressing, add the entire cheese and gently toss till completely mixed. Style, and add extra lemon juice if desired—it ought to style pleasantly lemony and a bit tart (the tartness helps reduce the bitterness of the kale).
- Ideally, let the salad relaxation for 10 minutes or extra earlier than serving. This salad will preserve nicely, coated and refrigerated, for as much as 4 days.
▸ Diet Data
Did you make this recipe?