The vacation season is in full swing & on my menu this yr is a well-liked French duck dish: Duck à l’Orange! A roasted & crispy skinned complete duck served with a citrusy bigarade sauce. This recipe is great for smaller vacation gatherings & an intimate Christmas dinner, when a complete turkey is simply too huge.
Every duck serves between 3 to 4 visitors, relying on the scale & kind of duck (purpose for a 5-pound duck). This recipe can simply be doubled to accommodate two geese. I like to recommend utilizing mallards or pintail geese, which yield the next fats content material & lend extra flavour to the meat. Though the normal recipe makes use of “bitter oranges” which could be tough to seek out, this sauce makes use of common oranges & is loaded with citrus goodness. Assume orange zest, freshly squeezed orange juice, orange bitters & orange liqueur!
For the sauce utilizing a retailer purchased beef inventory will work, however in case you have time to make a selfmade duck or beef inventory this effort will go a good distance. In spite of everything, the sauce is the star of this dish! Lastly, for optimum crispiness on the pores and skin, the recipe requires rotating the duck few instances all through the cooking course of to make sure it crisps & roasts evenly.
Have the merriest Christmas & happiest New Yr! xo
Duck à l’Orange
1 complete 5 pound mallard or pintail duck
2 massive oranges
Salt & pepper, to style
2 medium white onions, quartered
2 carrots, peeled & diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
3 sprigs of recent rosemary
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup high quality apple cider vinegar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 cups low sodium beef, veal or duck inventory
1 tablespoon corn starch
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
4 to six dashes orange bitters
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 425(f) levels. Rigorously rating the duck pores and skin, guaranteeing to not minimize via the pores and skin into the meat.
- Fill a big pot with water & deliver to a boil. Peel the zest off the oranges & thinly slice into strips. Supreme the oranges into segments & refrigerate till able to serve. Add the orange zest to the boiling water & blanch for 10 minutes.
- Take away the orange zest utilizing a strainer & switch to a paper towel. To the identical pot blanch the duck for 3 to five minutes. The pores and skin ought to visibly tighten up. In case you would not have a big sufficient pot, merely pour the boiling water over the duck within the sink.
- Take away the duck & pat dry with a paper towel. Season the pores and skin generously with salt & pepper.
- In a small roasting pan toss collectively the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, salt & pepper. Place the duck on prime of the greens breast facet down & roast for 25 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to 350(f) levels & rotate the duck breast facet up. Cook dinner for a further 45 to 50 minutes, till a thermometer inserted within the breast reaches 165(f) levels.
- Because the duck roasts, put together the sauce. To a saucepan over medium warmth add the sugar & vinegar. Simmer till the sugar begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk within the orange juice & inventory. Convey to a boil & let simmer till the flavours mend, about 10 minutes.
- Make a slurry with the cornstarch & add to the pot adopted by the orange zest. Proceed cooking till thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Take away from warmth. Whisk within the Grand Marnier, orange biters & butter. Season to style with salt.
- Spoon the sauce over the duck & garnish with orange segments. Slice & serve with further sauce.